Welcome to Gow’s Takeout!
I am a Canadian expat living in the United States for the past 13 years. Before that I was based in Frankfurt, Germany for two years working and exploring all parts of Europe. Everywhere I have lived and visited, I have tried to embrace the local food & drink. Memories include:
- Bagels in Montreal and NYC.
- Glühwein at the Nuremberg Christmas Market. Heck, glühwein at every small and large city I visited in Germany during the month of December.
- Raclette after a long day of skiing at a Swiss Resort.
- Fresh live seafood picked at the outdoor market in Hong Kong used for our all-seafood meal at a nearby restaurant.
- Lobster rolls in PEI.
- Apfelwein in Frankfurt, Germany.
- Spending a beautiful evening at my friend’s apartment in Nice, France eating a home cooked meal on the patio.
- Too many pisco sours in Santiago, Chile.
- My weekly visit to the farmers market in Frankfurt to eat a bratwurst.
- Beaver tails in the dead of winter in Ottawa while skating the 7.8 km Rideau canal.
- Poutine in Quebec.
- Piece of stale bread, clear broth with one piece of beef and one potato, and pack of saltine crackers. My lunch time meal while working at a client’s site in Moscow during the month of February.
- Kobe beef dinner in Kobe, Japan.
- Fish & chips in England.
- Maisel’s Hefeweizen in Germany. Pubs in England.
- After a long day of sea kayaking, smoked sockeye salmon in Kyuquot, B.C. while listening to stories told by the local natives.
- Breakfast in Edinburgh, Scotland.
- Spending time in Paris eating at a Chinese restaurant with my professional cookbook author aunt and her food writer friends.
- Currywurst in Germany.
- Beers deep in the heart of the Black Forest at a cabin owned by the Universität Freiburg.
I hope to add to my collection of fond memories as I review restaurants primarily in the San Francisco Bay Area. You will also find posts covering other cities and countries with a heavy dose of restaurants in Hawaii and Vancouver, Canada as I try to travel there as often as I can.
I also cook a lot and forever looking for ways to improve my skills especially with Chinese cooking. I hope to be able to share my knowledge with other like-minded readers and pick up a few tips along the way.
How did I come up with the name? Gow’s Takeout is a Chinese Canadian restaurant that I grew up with in Nepean, Ontario, Canada. One of my high school classmates’ parents owned this restaurant. It was located in a strip mall which contained a Dominion and my old TD bank among other things. I wish I had a picture of it. Unfortunately, the building has long since been razed with another strip mall building put up in its place.
During high school, it was a place where I’d go with my friends on a semi-regular basis to pick up Friday night take out. Chicken balls never tasted so good.
When I was 12 I joined an organized outdoor hockey league and my team was sponsored by, you guessed it, Gow’s. Our uniforms proudly displayed the Gow’s logo and covered up my paper thin equipment underneath. It would have been fine since it was a no checking league but I was the goalie. Hello? I need protection!
I reside in San Francisco, California with my wife Anna and our two beautiful daughters.
Follow me on https://www.instagram.com/gowstakeout/
Contact: Any questions, please contact me at info (at) gowstakeout (dot) com